Why DIY Mold Removal Can Be Dangerous
Homeowners looking to rid their homes of the dangers of mold exposure at an inexpensive cost often turn to commercial mold removal kits. But do these self-help solutions work – and are they safe?
For homeowners who choose to remove mold themselves, there exists significant and potentially serious risks. Contrary to popular belief, bleach does not kill mold. While bleach might remove the appearance of mold, it doesn’t kill the roots, which will will quickly re-bloom if the area remains wet.
DIY mold removal can actually allow mold to spread and become even a greater problem. The most dangerous risk homeowners take when directly handling mold or mold-contaminated material is in having allergic reactions. Mold exposure can cause all sorts of health problems, including skin rashs, nausea, immune system suppression, acute or chronic liver damage, or even central nervous damage.
Using mold removal kits improperly can put homeowners at risk making their mold situation even worse. Hidden mold can be exposed if walls or areas that contain mold are opened up without proper precautions. When attempting to remove mold without following the proper guidelines, it can lead to the mold spreading to other areas of the home.
Certified mold technicians will do the job right. They use proper personal equipment like ventilators, goggles, and other protective outerwear to prevent exposure. They also quarantine the mold spores by setting up containment barriers within rooms and using HEPA filters and ventilators to properly remove and eradicate the mold.
A big problem requires the proper precautions. If you find a moldy area larger than nine square feet, you should consider having a mold professional deal with the problem.
Indoor air pollution is today one of the largest environmental issues facing commercial buildings in Manhattan, New York City and Read more
Mold is an environmental problem in rental apartments across the nation. As a renter or a tenant, you have a Read more
Mold is a health hazard that can increase allergies and airborne pollutants. Many homeowners find that their closets become a Read more