Could Christmas Trees be a Source of Indoor Mold?
Besides a pine scent and holiday cheer, live Christmas trees could bring something entirely unwholesome into your home.
A study presented at The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Annual Scientific Meeting in Dallas suggests that live Christmas trees could be a source of allergenic mold.
The study examined the relationship between mold growth on live Christmas trees and indoor air quality.
Researchers measured mold counts in a room containing a live Christmas tree, starting when the tree was brought inside. The tree was located 10 feet from a heat vent, and the indoor temperature was kept at a temperature between 65 and 68 degrees.
For the first three days, mold counts were at 800 spores per cubic meter of air. But by day 14, the mold spore count rose to 5,000 spores per cubic meter.
Normal indoor air has a mold level of about 500-700 spores per cubic meter. A higher number indicates a possible infestation of mold growth.
Read the full article here.
Artificial trees might not get you off the hook, either. Artificial trees and ornaments can collect dust in storage and can be another source of allergy irritation. Cleaning them off outside before use is recommended.
H&H Environmental can check the air quality of your home to determine whether your home is contaminated with mold. Call us at (888) 250-6653 for a free consultation.
During the winter, being sealed up inside also means that you are also sealed in with any mold that may Read more
Attic ventilation is critical to maintaining even attic temperatures throughout the year. In the summer, proper ventilation vents excess heat. Read more
It's been said that the best way to spot mold is to simply follow your nose. Some people are more Read more